PINE BLUFF, a city and the county-seat of Jefferson county, Arkansas, U.S.A., situated at an altitude of about 200 ft. in the alluvial bottoms of the Arkansas river, about 107 m. from its mouth, and about 42 m. S. by E. of Little Rock. Pop. (1910), I5,ip2. It has an active river trade with St Louis, Memphis and New Orleans, and five railway outlets the Missouri Pacific and its branch, the Pine Bluff & Western, and the St Louis South-Western and its two branches, the Pine Bluff & Arkansas River and the Altheimer. The city has many schools, and a business college, the state normal school for negroes, and Merrill institute, endowed by Joseph Merrill of Pine Bluff with $100,000. Large quantities of cotton and lumber are shipped from the city. Among the manufactures are cotton-seed oil, lumber and staves, and furniture. Pine Bluff has shops of the St Louis South-Western railway. The city's factory products were valued at $2,989,242 in 1905, an increase of 94% over their value in 1900. Pine Bluff was laid out in 1832 and chartered as a city in 1885.
Pine-apple (Ananas sativus) much reduced.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)