PILLAU, a seaport and watering-place of Germany, in the Prussian province of East Prussia, on the spit of sand (Nehrung) which separates the Frische Haff from the Baltic, on the north of the entrance channel, and 29 m. by rail from Konigsberg. Pop. (1905), 7374. It is fortified and has a harbour, which serves as the outer port of Konigsberg, and to some extent also of Elbing and Braunsberg. A new navigable channel was in 1900-1901 constructed across the Frische Haff from Pillau to Konigsberg. Pillau has a school of navigation, and is a well-known pilot station. Ship-building, sail-making, fishing and the working of amber are carried on.
Pillau is memorable as the place where Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden landed in 1626. It did not obtain civic privileges until 1725, but was fortified shortly after that date. In 1807 it offered a stout resistance to the French. By a treaty of the 24th of February 1812 it was ceded to Napoleon, but on the 6th of February in the following year it was restored to Prussia.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)