PHILIPPSBURG, a town of Germany, in the grand duchy of Baden, situated on a sluggish arm of the Rhine, 15 m. N. of Karlsruhe, on the railway Bruchsal-Germersheim. Pop. (1905) 2625. It has manufactures of tobacco and cigars, and some .rade in cattle and hops. Philippsburg, formerly an important 'ortress, originally belonged to the ecclesiastical principality of Spires, and was named Udenheim. In 1338 it was surrounded with walls by bishop Gerhard. A later bishop of Spires, Philipp Christoph von Sotern, made the place his residence early n the 17th century, strengthened the fortifications, and renamed t Philippsburg after himself. At the peace of Westphalia in 1648 the French remained in possession of the town, but in 1679 it was restored to Germany, and though again captured )y the French in 1688 it was once more restored in 1697. ID 1734 the dilapidated fortress fell an easy prey to the French under Marshal Berwick, who, however, lost his life beneath ts walls. It was restored to Germany in 1735, and was again >esieged by the French in 1799. The town was assigned to iaden in 1803.
See Nopp, Geschichte der Stadt Philippsburg (Philippsburg, 1881).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)