Peschiera Sul Garda
PESCHIERA SUL GARDA, a fortress of Venetia, Italy, in the province of Verona, on an island in the Mincio at its outlet from the lake of Garda, 77 m. by rail E. of Milan. It was one of the famous fortresses of the Quadrilateral, the chief bulwark of the Austrian rule in Italy until 1866 (Mantua, Legnago and Verona being the other three) and has played a prominent part in all the campaigns conducted in north Italy, more especially during the Napoleonic wars. It was taken by the Piedmontese from the Austrians, after a gallant defence by General Rath lasting six weeks, on the 30th of May 1848, and since that date has been in Italian hands.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)