PERLIS (Palit). This small state, consisting of the left bank drainage area of the Perlis River, lies between Setul and Kedah, which bound it on the N. and W. and on the E. respectively. It touches the sea only round the mouth of the river.
The population is about 10,000, Malays and Chinese. The chief town, Perlis, is situated about 12 m. up the river. A good deal of tin is worked, and rice and pepper are grown and exported. In the early part of the 10th century Perlis was a district of Kedah, but during a period of disturbance in the latter state it established itself as a separate chief dom. In 1897 Siam restored the nominal authority of Kedah, but the measure was not productive of good. In 1905 the Siamese government advanced a loan of $200,000 to Perils, and appointed an English adviser to assist in the general administration. This money was refunded to Siam and the adviser relieved by a British officer when the state became British in July 1909. The condition of the state has improved, but the revenue, $80,000, is not sufficient for the immediate needs of government.
AUTHORITIES. Norman, The Far East (London, 1895); H. Clifford, in the Geographical Journal (London, 1896); Carter, The Kingdom of Siam (London, 1904) ; Graham, Reports on Kelanlan (Bangkok, 1905-1909) ; Skeat and Blagden, Pagan Races of the Malay Peninsula (London, 1906) ; Hart, Reports on Kedah (Calcutta, 1907- 1909) ; Graham, Kelantan, a Handbook (Glasgow, 1907).
(W. A. G.)
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)