PEMBROKE, WALES (Penfro), an ancient municipal borough, a contributory parliamentary borough and county-town of Pembrokeshire, Wales, situated on a narrow peninsula at the head of the Pennar tidal inlet or " pill " of Milford Haven. Pop. (1901), 4487; together with Pembroke Dock 15,853. Pembroke is a station on the South Wales system of the Great Western railway. The old-fashioned town, consisting chiefly of one long broad street, retains portions of its ancient walls. A large mill-dam is a conspicuous feature on the north of the town. St Mary's church in the centre of the town possesses a massive tower of the 12th century. Near the ruined West Gate is the entrance to Pembroke Castle, a splendid specimen of medieval fortified architecture. The circular vaulted keep erected by Earl William Marshal (c. 1200), remains almost intact. Close to the keep stands the ruined chamber wherein, according to local tradition, Henry VII. was born in 1457. Beneath the fine banqueting hall, a flight of steps descends into " the Wogan," a vast subterranean chamber giving access to the harbour. Facing the castle, on the western side of the pill, stand the considerable remains of Monkton Priory, a Benediction house founded by Earl William Marshal as a cell to the abbey of Seez or Sayes in Normandy, but under Henry VI. transferred to the abbey of St Albans. The priory church, now the parish church of the suburb of Monkton, contains monuments of the families of Meyrick of Bush and Owen of Orielton. St Daniel's chapel forms a prominent landmark on the ridge south of the town.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)