PARANA, ARGENTINA, a city and port of Argentina, capital of the province of Entre Rios, and the see of a bishopric, situated on the left bank of the Parana river, 410 m. by navigable channels (about 240 m. direct) N.W. of Buenos Aires. Pop. (1895), 24,261; (1904, estimate), 27,000. The city occupies a gently rolling site 120 ft. above the river and about 2 m. from its riverside port of Bajada Grande, with which it is connected by railway, tramway and highway. It is classed as a seaport, and oceangoing vessels of not over 12 ft. draught can ascend to Bajada. There is also a daily ferry service across the river to Santa Fe (7 m. distant), which is connected by railway with Rosario and Buenos Aires. Parana is also the western terminus of a provincial railway system, which connects with Concepcion and Concordia, on the Uruguay river, and with other important towns of the province. The mean annual temperature is about 66° F. and the climate is bracing and healthful. Its port of Bajada Grande, on the river shore below the bluffs, has the custom-house and a fine wharf for the accommodation of the Entre Rios railway and river craft. Parana was founded in 1730 by colonists from Santa Fe and was at first known as Bajada (a landing place). It was made the capital of the province by General Mansilla in 1821 (Concepci6n had previously been the capital), but in 1861 General Urquiza restored the seat of government to Concepcion, where it remained until 1882, when Parana again became the capital. Parana was also the capital of the Argentine Confederation from 1852 to 1861. ^ PARANAGUA, a seaport of the state of Parana, Brazil, on the southern shore of the Bay of Paranagua, about 9 m. from the bar of the main channel. Pop. of the municipality (1890), 11,794, of which a little more than one half belonged to the town. Paranagua is the principal port of the state, and is a port of call for steamers in the coastwise trade. It is the coastal terminus of a railway running to Curityba, the capital (69 m.), with extensions to other inland towns and a branch to Antonina, at the head of the bay, io| m. west of Paranagua by water. Its exports consist chiefly of mate, or Paraguay tea. The town was founded in 1560.
The Bay of Paranagua opens into the Atlantic in lat. 25° 32' S. through three channels and extends westward from the bar about 19 m. It is irregular in outline, receives the waters of a large number of small streams, and is comparatively shallow. Light-draught steamers can ascend to Antonina at the head of the bay. The broad entrance to the bay, which is the gateway to the state of Parana is nearly filled by the large Ilha do Mel (Honey Island) on which stands an antiquated fort commanding the only practicable channel.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)