PARAHYBA CITY (Parahyba do Norte), a city and port of Brazil, capital of Parahyba state, on the right bank of the Parahyba do Norte river, 11 m. above its mouth and 65 m. N. of Recife. Pop. (1890), 18,645, including several suburbs and CabedeUo; (1908, estimate), 30,000. Parahyba is the startingpoint of the Conde d'Eu railway, now a part of the Great Western of Brazil system, which includes a main line to Independencia, where it connects with the Natal & Nova Cruz line of Rio Grande do Norte, and a branch to CabedeUo. The entrance to the Parahyba do Norte River being obstructed by a stone reef and sand bars, only vessels drawing less than 14 ft. can effect an entrance. The " Varadouro," as the lower part of the city is caUed, is built on the margin of the river and is devoted principally to commerce. Behind this is a low hiU on whose northern slope and broad summit the upper city is buUt, and a tramway line runs to the suburb of Trincheira. There are some good pubUc buUdings, including the parish church (ntatris) of N.S. das Neves, the old Franciscan convent and church, the government palace, and the treasury. There are a normal school, a lyceum, a national gymnasium, and a school for marine apprentices. Parahyba was founded in 1585. It was caUed Frederickstadt by the Dutch, who occupied the Franciscan convent as a government house, and FeUppea in honour of the king of Spain when the Dutch were expelled. Its original name was resumed on the separation (1640) of Portugal and her colonies from Spanish rule.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)