PALMERSTON, the chief town of the Northern Territory of South Australia, in Palmerston county, on the E. shore of Port Darwin, 2000 m. direct N.N.W. of Adelaide. The town stands 60 ft. above the level of the sea, by which it is almost surrounded. There are a government house, a town hall, and an experimental nursery garden. Palmerston has a magnificent harbour, accessible to ocean-going vessels, and the jetty is connected by rail with Playford, 146 m. distant. Cool breezes blow almost continuously throughout the year. The mean annual rainfall is 62-21 in. Pop. (1901), 1973, mostly Chinese.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)