PALAWARAM, a town of India, in Chingleput district, Madras, 11 m. S. of Madras city, with a station on the South Indian railway; pop. (1901), 6416. Formerly called the presidency cantonment, as containing the native garrison for Madras city, it is now a depot for native infantry and the residence of European pensioners. There are several tanneries.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)