PALAMCOTTAH, a town of India, in the Tinnevelly district of Madras, on the opposite bank of the Tambraparni river to Tinnevelly town, with which it shares a station on the South Indian railway, 444 m. south of Madras. Pop. (1901), 39,545. It is the administrative headquarters of the district, and also the chief centre of Christian missions in south India. Among many educational institutions may be mentioned the Sarah Tucker College for Women, founded in 1895.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)