PAKHOI, or Peihai, a city and treaty port of China, in the west of the province of Kwang-tung, situated on a bay of the Gulf of Tong-king, formed by the peninsula running south-west from Lien-chow, in 21° 30' N., 109° 10' E. Pop. about 25,000.
Dating only from about 1820-1830, and at first little better than a nest of pirates, Pakhoi rapidly grew into commercial importance, owing partly to the comiilcte freedom which it enjoyed from taxation, and partly to the diversion of trade produced by the T'ai-p'ing rebellion. The establishment of a Chinese customhouse and the opening of the ports of Hanoi and Haiphong for a time threatened to injure its prospects; but, foreign trade being permitted in 1876-1877, it began in 1879 to be regularly visited by foreign steamers. The Chinese town stands on the peninsula and faces due north. From the bluff, on which all the foreign community lives, a partly cultivated plain extends. Liquid indigo, sugar, aniseed and aniseed oil, cassia-lignea and cassia oil, cuttle-fish and hides are the chief exports. With Macao especially an extensive junk trade is carried on. A large number of the inhaliitants engage in fishing and fish-curing. The preparation of dried fish is a speciality of Pakhoi, the fish being exported to Hong Kong.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)