PAIGNTON, a seaside resort in the Torquay parliamentary division of Devonshire, England, on Tor Bay, 2f m. S.W. of Torquay, on the Great Western railway. Pop. of urban district (igoi), 8385. The church of St John is mainly Perpendicular, ^ What the Fihrist (p. 13 seq.) has about various forms of Persian writing certainly refers in part at least to the species of Pahlavi. But the statements are hardly all reliable, and in the lack of trustworthy specimens little can be made of them.
* This was finally proved by Olshausen, following earlier scholars; see J. Olshausen, Parthava und Pahlav. Mada und Mah (Berlin, 1877, and in the Monatsb. of the Academy).
'Translations ed. bv F. Spiegel (1860), the Bundahish by N. L. Westergaard (Copenhagen, 1851) and F. Justi (Leipzig, 1868); other Pahlavi books by Spiegel and Haug, by Hoshangji, and other Indian Parsees.
' One other book, the stories of Kalilag and Damnag, in a Syriac version from the Pahlavi, the latter taken from the Sanskrit.
but has a late Norman doorway, and contains a carved and painted pulpit, and in the Kirkham chapel several interesting monuments of the Kirkham family, and a beautiful though damaged stone screen. Among other buildings and institutions are a novitiate of Marist Fathers, a science and art school, a pier with pavilion and concert rooms, and a yacht club. Little remains of an old palace of the bishops of Exeter apart from the 14th-century Bible Tower. Its last tenant was Bishop Miles Coverdale, who in 1535 published the first English translation of the whole Bible. The town owes its popularity to a firm expanse of sand, good bathing facilities, and a temperate climate.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)