OSTROG, a town of Russia, in the government of Volhynia, 95 m. W. of Zhitomir, at the confluence of the VOya with the Goryn. Pop. (1897) 14,530. It is an episcopal see of the Orthodox Greek Church, and in the 16th century had a classical academy, converted later into a Jesuit college. Here was made and printed in 1581 the first translation of the Bible into old Slav. In the lown is a brotherhood of Cyril and Methodius, which maintains schools of its own. The tanning of hght leather is an active domestic trade; other industries are potteries, oil-works, soap, candle and tobacco factories. After being plundered by the Cossack chieftain Khmelnitski in 1648, and conquered by the Russians seven years later, the town fell into decay.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)