OSTERODE - the name of two Prussian towns:
(1) OSTERODE, a town in the Prussian province of East Prussia, 75 m. by rail N.E. of Thorn, on Lake Drewenz, and at the junction of lines to Memel, Elbing and Schonsee. Pop. (1905) 13,957. It has a castle built by the Teutonic knights in 1270, to whom the town owes its birth. Its principal manufactures are railway plant, machinery, beer, spirits and bricks, while it has several saw-mills. Osterode has a lively trade in cattle, grain and timber.
See J. Muller, Osterode und Ostpreussen (Osterode, 1905).
(2) OSTERODE, a town in the Prussian province of Hanover, at the south foot of the Harz Mountains, 34 m. N.W. of Nordhausen by rail. Pop. (1905) 7467. The church of St Aegidius (EvangeHcal) , founded in 724 and rebuilt after a fire in 1578, contains some fine tombs of the dukes of Brunswick-Grubenhagen, who made Osterode their residence from 1361 to 1452. Other buildings are the fine town-hall and the hospital. There are manufactures of cotton and woollen goods, cigars and leather, and tanneries, dyeworks and gypsum quarries. In recent years Osterode has become celebrated as a health resort.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)