OSCHATZ, a town in the kingdom of Saxony, in the valley of the DoUnitz, 36 m. N.W. of Dresden, on the trunk railway to Leipzig. Pop. (1905) 10,854. One of its three Evangelical churches is the handsome Gothic church of St Aegidius, with twin spires. Sugar, felt, woollens, cloth and leather are manufactured, and there is considerable trade in agricultural produce. Four miles west lies the Kolmberg, the highest eminence in the north of Saxony.
See C. Hoffmann, Historische Beschreibung der Sladt Oschatz (Oschatz, 1873-1874); and Gurlitt, Ban- und Kunstdenkmaler der Amtsmannschafl Oschatz (Dresden, 1905).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)