ORFORD, a small town, once of greater importance, in the south-eastern parliamentary division of Suffolk, England, 21 m. E. by N. of Ipswich. Pop. (1901) 987. It lies by the right bank of the river Aide, where that river flows south- westward on the inner side of the great beach which has blocked its direct outflow to the sea, and swells out seaward in the blunt promontory of Orford Ness. The church of St Bartholomew is of much interest. It retains a ruined Norman chancel of rich and unusual design, while the body of the church is Decorated. Of Orford castle the keep remains, standing high on a mound; it is partly of Caen stone and partly of flintwork, and is of Norman date.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)