OCHRIDA (also written OKHRTOA and ACHRIDA; Turkish Ochri), a city of Albania, European Turkey, in the vilayet of Monastir; on the north-eastern shore of Lake Ochrida, and at the eastern end of the Roman Via Egnatia. Pop. (1905) about 1 1 ,000, including Albanians, Turks, Greeks and Slavs. Ochrida occupies the site of the ancient Lychnidos, which was added to the Macedonian empire by Philip II. (382-336 B.C.), and destroyed by the Bulgarians in A.D. 861. It is the seat of Bulgarian and Greek bishops. From the creation of the Bulgarian patriarchate of Ochrida in 893 to its abolition in 1767 the city was the ecclesiastical headquarters of the Bulgarians in the west of the Balkan Peninsula. Lake Ochrida is 2260 ft. above sea-level, in a mountainous limestone region of Karst formation. It measures 107 sq. m., and has a maximum depth of 938 ft. Its waters are supplied by subterranean streams. Its chief outlet is the river Black Drin, on the north.
See Gelzer, Der Patriarchal von Achrida (Leipzig, 1902); and " Dr Jovan Cvijic's Researches in Macedonia, etc.," in The Geographical Journal, vol. xvi. (London, 1900).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)