OCAS A, a town of central Spain, in the province of Toledo; on the extreme north of the tableland known as the Mesa de Ocafia, with a station on the railway from Aranjuez to Cuenca. Pop. (1900) 6616. The town is surrounded by ruined walls, and in it are the remains of an old castle. In one of its parish churches is the chapel of Nueslra Sefiora de los Remedios, in which Ferdinand and Isabella were married in 1469. Ocafia is the Vicus Cuminarius of the Romans, and was the dowry that El Motamid of Seville gave his daughter Zaida on her marriage with Alphonso VI. of Castile (1072-1109). Near Ocafia, on the igth of November 1809, the Spanish under their Irish general Lacy were routed by the French under Joseph Bonaparte and Marshal Soult.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)