OBOK, a seaport on the north shore of the Gulf of Tajura, N.E. Africa, acquired by France in 1862. It gave its name to the colony of Obok, now merged in the French Somali coast protectorate (see SOMALILAND: French). The port is separated from the open sea by coral reefs, but is only partially sheltered from the winds. This led to the practical abandonment of the town by the French, who in 1896 transferred to Jibuti, on the opposite shore of the Gulf of Tajura, the seat of government of the colony. Obok is connected with Aden and Jibuti by submarine cables. Population about 500.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)