NYMPHENBURG, formerly a village, but since 1899 an incorporated suburb of Munich, in the kingdom of Bavaria. It has a palace, built about the middle of the 17th century, on the model of that at Versailles, and long a favourite residence of the Bavarian elector, Maximilian Joseph. The famous china manufactory of Nymphenburg, founded in 1754 at Neudeck by a potter named Niedermeyer, was shortly afterwards removed hither and, after being long under royal patronage, is now a private undertaking. The elector Charles Albert of Bavaria was reputed to have made a treaty with Louis XV. of France in May 1 74 1 at the beginning of the War of the Austrian Succession for the division of Austria, and this was called the treaty of Nymphenburg. It has, however, been conclusively proved a forgery. But a treaty was concluded here on the 28th of May 1741, between Bavaria and Spain, and another between Bavaria and the Rhenish Palatinate in 1 766.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)