NORMANTON, YORKSHIRE, an urban district in the Normanton parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, on the river Calder, 3 m. N.E. of Wakefield on the Midland, North Eastern and Lancashire & Yorkshire railways. Pop. (1901) 12,352. The church of All Saints is Norman and Perpendicular, with a square tower rebuilt in 1717, and contains a number of interesting monuments; the ancient stained glass is good. The grammar-school was founded about the end of the 16th century. Traces remain of a moat surrounding the town. A mound in the neighbourhood called Haw Hill is supposed to be a barrow. Altofts, a neighbouring parish, was the home of Sir Martin Frobisher in the 16th century. There are numerous collieries in the neighbourhood.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)