NOGENT-SUR-SEINE, a town of north-central France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Aube, on the left bank of the Seine, 35 m. N.W. of Troyes on the Paris-Belfort line. Pop. (1906) 3791. The river at this point forms an island, which supports a stone bridge of the 17th century. The chief building is the church of St Laurent (1421-1554). A lateral portal in the flamboyant style and the Renaissance tower at the west end are of great beauty. The town is the seat of a subprefect and has a tribunal of first instance. There is trade in grain, flour, fodder, wood and cattle. Nogen-sur-Seine was in 1814 the scene of fighting between the French and Austrians.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)