NEWTON, KANSAS, a city and the county-seat of Harvey county, Kansas, U.S.A., about 27 m. N. of Wichita. Pop. (1905)6601; (1910) 7862. It is served by the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe (of which it is a division point and which has shops here), and the Missouri Pacific railways. Newton is the centre of the settlements of the German-Russian Mennonites, a thrifty people, who immigrated in 1873 and subsequently; Bethel College (opened 1893) is a Mennonite secondary school, and there is a Mennonite hospital. Newton is a supply and distributing point for the surrounding agricultural and stock-raising region, and has various manufactures. The municipality has natural gas for heating, lighting and manufacturing. Newton was first settled in 1871, was chartered as a city in 1872, and in 1910 adopted a commission form of government.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)