NEWQUAY, a seaport and watering-place, in the St Austell parliamentary division of Cornwall, England, 14 m. N. of Truro, on a branch of the Great Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 2935. It is finely situated on the north coast, on Newquay Bay, which is sheltered to the west by Towan Head. The cliff scenery is grand, and there is a fine sandy beach along the northward sweep of the coast in Watergate Bay. The harbour, artificially constructed, and equipped with a jetty and piers, admits vessels of 250 tons. The chief exports are iron and other ores, china clay, granite, fish and grain. The imports are coal, salt and manures.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)