NEWPORT, KENTUCKY, a city of Campbell county, Kentucky, U.S.A., on the Ohio River opposite Cincinnati, Ohio, and at the mouth of the Licking River opposite Covington, Ky. Pop. (1900) 28,301, of whom 4081 were foreign-born and 424 were negroes; (1910 census) 30,309. It is served by the Louisville & Nashville, and the Chesapeake & Ohio railways, and by electric lines to Covington, Cincinnati, Bellevue, Fort Thomas and Dayton. With Cincinnati and Covington it is connected by bridges. In the highlands, about 3 m. back of the city, is Fort Thomas, a United States military post, established in 1888 to supersede Newport Barracks (1804), in the city, which were abandoned in 1894. Newport is essentially a residential suburb of Cincinnati, but it is also industrially important. In 1905 the value of the factory product was $5,231,084, Newport ranking third among the manufacturing centres of the state. Newport was settled late in the 18th century, was laid out in 1791, was incorporated as a town in 1795, and was chartered as a city in 1834.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)