NEW ULM, a city and the county seat of Brown county, Minnesota, U.S.A., on the S. bank of the Minnesota river, 88 m. (by rail) S.W. of Minneapolis, in the south central part of the state. Pop. (1905, state census) 5720 (1287 of German birth); (1910) 5648. New Ulm is served by the Minneapolis & St Louis, and the 'Chicago & North Western railways. In the south-western part of the city, on a wooded hill called Hermann Heights, there is a statue of Arminius erected by the Grand Lodge of Hermann's Sons of the United States. New Ulm is an important livestock market. The city is the seat of the Dr Martin Luther College (Lutheran, 1884), a secondary school, with a normal and a collegiate department. St Michael's Academy and St Alexander Hospital are under the charge of Roman Catholic sisters. New Ulm was settled about 1853, and was twice attacked and almost destroyed by the Indians during the Sioux uprising of 1862. There is a monument to those who lost their lives in the Sioux massacres.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)