NEVADA, MISSOURI, a city and the county-seat of Vernon county, Missouri, U.S.A., in the south-western part of the state, about 90 m. S..by E. of Kansas City. Pop. (1900) 7461, of whom 235 were foreign-born and 168 negroes; (1910) 7176. It is served by the Missouri Pacific and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railway systems. The principal public buildings are the county court house, the federal building and the high school. Nevada is the seat of Cottey College for girls (Methodist-Episcopal, South, 1884) and of a state hospital for the insane, and there is a state camp ground for the National Guard of Missouri. There are three parks, one of which, Lake Park, is a pleasure and health resort, with a lake and chalybeate and sulphur springs. The smelting of lead and zinc and the manufacture of paper, lumber, sheet metal and bricks are among the city's industries. Nevada is a trading centre for the surrounding country, and a fine farming and stock-raising region, in which Indian corn, oats, wheat, clover, timothy and blue-grass are grown; coal is mined in the vicinity. The city's water-supply is drawn from artesian wells. Nevada (" Nevada City " until 1869) was platted in 1855, was burned down in 1863 during the occupancy by the state militia in war time, was incorporated as a town in 1869, was entered by the first railway in 1870, and was chartered as a city in 1880.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)