NEUILLY-SUR-SEINE, a town of northern France, in the department of Seine, 3^ m. N.W. of the centre of Paris, of which it is a suburb, between the fortifications and the Seine. Pop. (1906) 39,222. A castle at Neuilly, built by the count of Argenson in the 18th century, ultimately became the property and favourite residence of the duke of Orleans (Louis Philippe), the birthplace of nearly all his children, and the scene of the offer of the crown in 1830. The buildings were pillaged and burned by the mob in 1848. The park, which extended from the fortifications to the river, as well as the neighbouring park of Villiers (also belonging to the princes of Orleans), was broken up into building lots, and is occupied by many small middle-class houses and a few fine villas. Within the line of the fortifications, but on Neuilly soil, stands the chapel of St Ferdinand, on the spot where the duke of Orleans died in 1842 from the results of a carriage accident. The stained-glass windows were made at Sevres after designs by Ingres; the ducal cenotaph, designed by Ary Scheffer, was sculptured by de Triqueti; and the chapel also contains a " Descent from the Cross," by the last-named artist, and an angel executed in Carrara marble by the princess Marie d'Orleans, sister of the duke. The fine bridge, designed in the 18th century by Perronet, is noteworthy as the first level bridge constructed in France. The Galignani Institution, founded by the brothers Galignani for aged booksellers, printers and others, has accommodation for 100 residents. The manufactures include perfumery, chocolate, colours, varnish, automobiles, carpets, etc.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)