NEUBURG, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, is pleasantly situated on the Danube, 12 m. W. of Ingolstadt, on the railway to Neuoffingen. Pop. (1005) 8532. It is a place of ancient origin, but is chiefly noteworthy because formerly for two centuries it was the capital of the principality of PfalzNeuburg. Its most important building is the old residence of its princes, the handsomest part of which is in the Renaissance style of the 16th century. The town also contains an Evangelical and seven Roman Catholic churches, a town hall, several schools and convents, a theatre, and an historical museum with a valuable library. It has electrical works and breweries, while fruit and vegetables are cultivated in the neighbourhood, a considerable trade in these products being carried on by the Danube.
Neuburg was originally an episcopal see. In the roth century it passed to the counts of Scheyern, and through them to Bavaria, being ceded to the Rhenish Palatinate at the close of a war in 1 507. From 1557 to 1742 it was the capital of a small principality ruled by a cadet branch of the family of the elector palatine of the Rhine. This principality of Pfalz-Neuburg had an area of about 1000 sq. m. and about 100,000 inhabitants. In 1742 it was united again with the Rhenish Palatinate, with which it passed in 1777 to Bavaria.
See Gremmel, Geschichte des Herzogtums Neuburg (Neuburg, 1872); and Fuhrer durch die Stadt Neuburg und deren Umgebung (Neuburg, 1904).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)