NEUBREISACH, a town and fortress of Germany in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine, situated on the RhineRhone canal, 12 m. E. from Colmar by the railway to Freiburgim-Breisgau. Pop. (1905 including a garrison of 2300 men) 3520. It is built in the form of a hectagon, and together with Fort Mortier, which lies on an arm of the Rhine opposite, forms a place of great strategic strength. It contains an Evangelical (garrison) church, a Roman Catholic church and a non- commissioned officers' school. There are electrical works in the town.
Neubreisach was founded by Louis XIV. in 1699 and fortified by Vauban, the Neubreisacher canal being constructed to transport the necessary materials. In the Franco-German War, it was bombarded by the Germans from the 2nd to the loth of November 1870, when it capitulated.
See Wolff, Geschichte des Bombardements von ScUettstadt wid Neubreisach (Berlin, 1874); and von Neumann, Die Eroberung von ScUettstadt und Neubreisach im Jahre 1870 (Berlin, 1876).
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)