NEAMTZU (Neamtu), a town in Rumania, situated among the lower slopes of the Carpathian Mountains, and on the left bank of the river Neamtzu, an affluent of the Moldova. Pop. (1900) 8578, about half being Jews. Neamtzu gives its name to the Department of which Piatra is the capital. Lying ism. S. by E. of Falticheni, the nearest railway station, it has little trade. Near it is the ruined fortress of Neamtzu, constructed early in the 13th century by the Teutonic knights of Andrew II., king of Hungary, in order to repel the incursions of the Cumanians. An hour's drive to the west of the town is the monastery of Neamtzu, founded in the 14th century, and containing two churches and many ancient and interesting relics. Before the secularization of the monastic lands in 1864, it was one of the richest and most important of the Rumanian monasteries. Baltzatesti, 10 m. W. by S. of Neamtzu, is locally famous for its mineral springs and baths.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)