NAGYKANIZSA, a town of Hungary, in the county of Zala, 137 m. S.W. of Budapest by rail. Pop. (1000) 23,255. It possesses distilleries and brick-making factories, and has trade in cereals and cattle. Nagykanizsa once ranked as the second fortress of Hungary, and consequently played an important part during the wars with the Turks, who, having gained possession of it in 1600, held it until, in 1690, after a siege of two years, it was recovered by the Austrian and Hungarian forces. In 1702 the fortifications were destroyed.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)