MUNCIE, a city and the county-seal of Delaware counly, Indiana, U.S.A., on the West Fork of the While river, about 57 m. N.E. of Indianapolis. Pop. (1880), 5210; (1800), 11,345; (1900) 20,942, of whom 1235 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 24,005. It is served by the Cenlral Indiana, Ihe Chicago, Cincinnali & Louisville, the Cleveland, Cincinnali, Chicago & Si Louis, the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, the Forl Wayne, Cincinnati & Louisville, and the Lake Erie & Western railways, and by the Indiana Union Traction, the Dayton & Muncie Traction, and the Muncie & Portland Traction (eleclric inler-urban) railways. The cily is buill on level ground (allitude 950 ft.), and has an altractive residential section. It is one of the principal manufacturing centres in Indiana, owing largely lo ils silualion in the natural gas belt. In 1900 and in 1905 it was the largest producer of glass and glassware in the Uniled States, the value of its product in 1905 being $2,344,462. Muncie (named after the Munsee Indians, one of the Ihree principal divisions of the Dela wares) was settled about 1833 and was chartered as a city in 1865.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)