MULLINGAR, a market-town, and the county town of county Westmeath, Ireland, near the river Brosna and on the Royal canal, 50 m. W. by N. of Dublin. Pop. (1901), 4500. It is a junction on the Midland Great Western railway where the branch for Longford, Sligo and Cavan leaves the main line. The principal churches are the parish church (1813) with tower and spire, and the Roman Catholic cathedral for the diocese of Meath. Tanning, brewing, and the manufacture of coarse woollens are carried on, and the town is the centre for the agricultural trade of the district. Mullingar was one of the ancient palatinate towns, but its present appearance is modern. It possessed an Augustine convent founded in 1227, and a Dominican convent founded in 1239, but both were dissolved by Elizabeth. The town was the headquarters of William III. before the siege of Athlone. It formerly returned two members to parliament, but was disfranchised at the Union in 1800. Mullingar is a centre for the trout-fishing in the Westmeath loughs, being in proximity to Loughs Ennell and Owel.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)