MOTHERWELL, a municipal and police burgh of Lanarkshire, Scotland. Pop. (1851), 900; (1901), 30,418. It is situated near the right bank of the Clyde, 13 m. S.E. of Glasgow by the Caledonian railway. It takes its name from an old well dedicated to the Virgin, and owes its rapid increase to the coal and iron mines in the neighbourhood. It has large iron and steel works, bridge-building being a distinctive industry. Boilers, steam-cranes and ironmongers' ware are also made, and there are brick, tile and fireclay works. The public buildings include the town-hall, theatre and hospital; the park was presented in commemoration of Queen Victoria's Jubilee.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)