MORTARA, a town of Lombardy, Italy, in the province of Pa via, 354 ft. above sea-level, a railway junction situated between the Ticino and the Po, 32 m. by rail S.W. of Milan. Pop. (1901), 7298 (town); 8697 (commune). Lines run to Milan, Pavia, Alessandria, Casale Monferrato and Vercefli. The church of San Lorenzo is in the Gothic style of the 14th century with a brick facade. Outside the town is the Lombard Romanesque church of S. Albino. Mortara has iron-works and manufactures of hats and cheese. Here the Austrians defeated the Piedmontese in 1849.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)