Moron De La Frontera
MORON DE LA FRONTERA, or MORON (anc. Arumi), a town of southern Spain, in the province of Seville; 32 m. S.E. of the city of Seville. Pop. (1900) 14,190. Moron occupies an irregular site upon broken chalk hillocks near the right bank of the Guadaira. It is connected by rail with Utrera on the Cadiz & Seville line. On the highest elevation to the eastward are the ruins of the ancient castle, of considerable importance during the Moorish period, when Moron, as its full name implies, was a frontier fortress; the castle was afterwards used as a palace by the counts of Urefia. In 1810-1811 it was fortified by the French, but blown up by them in the following year. The chief public building of Moron is the large parish church, which dates from the 16th century. Moron is alsc famous throughout Spain for its marble and its chalk (cal de Mordti), from which the whitewash extensively used in the Peninsula is derived.