MORLEY, YORKSHIRE, a municipal borough in the Morley parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 4 m. S.S.W. of Leeds, on the Great Northern and London & North- Western railways. Pop. (1901), 23,636. The town-hall was opened in 1895; and a park, for which the ground was presented by Lord Dartmouth, in 1890. The chief industries are connected with woollen cloth, machinery for the treatment of wool, coal and stone. The borough, incorporated in 1885, is under a mayor, 7 aldermen and 21 councillors. Area, 3385 acres. In the neighbourhood are ruins of a mansion, Howley Hall, dating from 1590, which, garrisoned for the parliament, sustained a heavy siege from the royalists during the Civil War.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)