MORECAMBE, a municipal borough, watering-place and seaport in the Lancaster parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, on Morecambe Bay, 236 m. N.W. by N. from London by the London & North- Western railway; served also by the Midland railway. Pop. (1901), 11,798. A fine promenade extends along the shore; there are a quay and a pier, a winter garden, and all the appointments of a seaside resort. The Midland railway is the harbour authority. The town was incorporated in 1902, and the corporation consists of a mayor, 6 aldermen and 16 councillors. The former alternative name was Poulton-le-Sands. Area, 1801 acres.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)