MONTGOMERY, WALES ( Tre' Faldwyn),a. municipal and parliamentary borough, market town, and the county town of Montgomeryshire, Wales, situated on a wooded hill near the east bank of the Severn, 7 m. S. of Welshpool (Cambrian railway). Pop. (1901), 1034. The principal feature of the town is the ruined castle. Not far off are the traces of an extensive British fort, and, about a mile east, the line of Offa's Dyke, forming the Shropshire boundary. The borough was incorporated by Henry III., when the castle was enlarged, and was the scene of frequent contests between that king and Llewelyn the Great. In the 14th century the castle was held by the Mortimers, from whom it passed to the Yorkists. The Crown gave it, in the 15th century, to the Herberts of Cherbury, one of whom, in 1644, surrendered it to the Parliamentarians, who dismantled it.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)