MOFFAT, a burgh of barony, and police burgh, of Upper Annandale, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 2153. It is situated 21 m. N.N.E. of Dumfries by road and 63 m. distant by the Caledonian railway, from both Edinburgh and Glasgow. It is the terminus of a branch line from Beattock, 2 m. distant. It has been famous for its sulphur and saline waters since the middle of the 18th century, and also enjoys great vogue as a holiday resort. The hills in the locality range from the adjacent Callow Hill (832 ft.) to Hartfell (2651 ft.); about 5 m. north there is abundance of beautiful and varied scenery on the Annan, the Evan, the Birnock and the Moffat. The spa, a mile to the north of the town, was acquired by the burgh commissioners in 1898, and there are also spas at Hartfell (3! m. north) and Carpel (2 m. south-west). Dumcrieff House, 2 m. south-west, is the seat of Lord Rollo.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)