MILNGAVIE (locally pronounced Millguy), a police burgh of Dumbartonshire, Scotland. Pop. (1901), 3481. It lies 6 m. N.N.W. of Glasgow by the North British railway. The chief industries include bleach-fields, dye-works, a distillery and a paper mill; but the town is largely a residential quarter for Glasgow business men. Close to the town are two reservoirs, Mugdock (62 acres) and Craigmaddie (88 acres), in which is stored the water from Loch Katrine. Mugdock Castle, if m. N. of Milngavie, is an old stronghold of the Grahams; in Baldernock parish, about 2 m. E., stands a cromlech, called "the Auld Wives' Lift " (400 ft. high), commanding a fine view of the lands between the Forth and Clyde. Dougalston Loch, \ m. S.E., contains several rare aquatic plants.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)