MICHIGAN CITY, a city of Laporte county, Indiana, U.S.A., on the S.E. shore of lake Michigan, about 40 m. E. by S. of Chicago. Pop. (1890) 10,776; (1900), 14,850, of whom 3662 were foreign-born; (1910 census) 19,027. Michigan City is served by the Chicago, Indianapolis & Louisville, the Lake Erie & Western, the Michigan Central and the Pere Marquette railways, by interurban electric lines, and by several lines of lake steamships. The city contains a United States Life Saving Station and the Indiana State Prison, and is the seat of a Protestant Episcopal bishop. Its transportation 1 President Angell graduated in 1849 at Brown University, where he was assistant librarian in 1849-1850 and was professor of modern languages in 1853-1860; was editor of the Providence Journal in 1860-1866; was president of the University of Vermont in 1866-1871, was United States minister to China in 1880-1881, was a member of the joint commission of 1887-1888 to settle fishery disputes between the United States and Great Britain, was chairman of the international deep waterways commission in 1896, and in 1897-1898 was United States minister to Turkey.
advantages make it one of the principal commercial cities in the state. Its shipments of lumber are of special importance, and it has also a large transshipment trade in salt and iron ore. The total factory product in 1905 was valued at $6,314,226. The municipality owns and operates its water-works system. Michigan City was first settled about 1830, was incorporated as a village in 1837, and was first chartered as a city in 1867.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)