MARSHALL, MISSOURI, a city and the county-seat of Saline county, Missouri, U.S.A., situated a little W. of the centre of the state, near the Salt Fork of the La Mine River. Pop. (1890), 4297; (1900), 5086 (208 being foreign-born and 98 negroes); (1910) 4869. It is served by the Missouri Pacific and the Chicago & Alton railways. The city is laid out regularly on a high, undulating prairie. It is the seat of Missouri Valley College (opened 1889; coeducational), which was established by the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and includes a preparatory department and a conservatory of music. The court-house (1883), a Roman Catholic convent and a high school (19?) are the principal buildings. The Missouri colony for the feeble-minded and epileptic (1899) is ( at Marshall. The principal trade is with the , surrounding farming country. The municipality owns and operates the waterworks. Marshall was first settled and was made the county seat in 1839; ft became a town in 1866 (re-incorporated 1870) and a city in 1878.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)