MARRUVIUM, the chief town of the Marsi, on the E. bank of the Lacus Fucinus, 4 m. S. of Cerfennia. on the Via Valeria. Though no doubt of great antiquity, nothing is known of its history before the imperial period; and none of the remains visible there (city walls, various buildings within them, an amphitheatre, etc.), from which it seems to have been a place of some importance, can be attributed to an earlier date. On the site is the insignificant village of St Benedetto.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)