MANDASOR, or MANDSAUR, a town of Central India, in the native state of Gwalior, on the Rajputana railway, 31 m. S. of Neemuch. Pop. (1901), 20,936. It gave its name to the treaty with Holkar, which concluded the Mahratta-Pindari War in 1818. It is a centre of the Malwa opium trade.
Mandasor and its neighbourhood are full of archaeological interest. An inscription discovered near the town indicated the erection of a temple of the Sun in 437, and at Sondani are two great monolith pillars recording a victory of Yasodharma, king of Malwa, in 528. The fort dates from the 14th and 1sth centuries. Hindu and Jain remains are numerous, though the town is now entirely Mahommedan.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)