LUDINGTON, MICHIGAN, a city and the county-seat of Mason county, Michigan, U.S.A., on Lake Michigan, at. the mouth of the Marquette river, about 85 m. N.W. of Grand Rapids. Pop. (1900) 7166 (2259 foreign-born); (1904, state census) 7259; (1910) 9132. It is served by the Pere Marquette, and the Ludington and Northern railways, and by steamboat lines to Chicago, Milwaukee and other lake ports. To Manitowoc, Milwaukee, Kewanee and Two Rivers, Wisconsin, on the W. shore of Lake Michigan, cars, especially those of the Pere Marquette railway, are ferried from here. Ludington was formerly well known as a lumber centre, but this industry has greatly declined. There are various manufactures, and the city has a large grain trade. On the site of the city Pere Marquette died and was buried, but his body was removed within a year to Point St Ignace. Luding- ton was settled about 1859, and was chartered as a city in 1873. It was originally named Pere Marquette, but was renamed in 187'! in honour of James Ludington, a local lumberman.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)