LUCON, a town of western France, in the department of Vendee, 23 m. S.E. of La Roche-sur-Yon, on the railway from Nantes to Bordeaux, and on the canal of Lucon (9 m. long), which affords communication with the sea in the Bay of Aiguillon. Pop. (1906) 6163. Between Lucon and the sea stretch marshy plains, the bed of the former gulf, partly drained by numerous canals, and in the reclaimed parts yielding excellent pasturage, while in other parts are productive salt-marshes, and ponds for the rearing of mussels and other shell-fish. Lucon is the seat of a bishopric, established in 1317, and held by Richelieu from 1607 to 1624. The cathedral, partly of the 12th-century and partly of later periods, was originally an abbey church. The facade and the clock tower date from about 1700, and the tower is surmounted by a crocketed spire rising 275 ft. above the ground, attributed to the architect Francois Leduc of Tuscany. The cloisters are of the late 15th century. Adjacent is the bishop's palace, possessing a large theological library and Titian's " Disciples of Emmaus," and there is a fine public garden. A communal college and an ecclesiastical seminary are among the public institutions. During the Vendean wars, Lucon was the scene of several conflicts, notably in 1793.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)