LOUHANS, a town of east-central France in the old province of Franche-Comte, now capital of an arrondissement in the department of Saone-et-Loire, 34 m. N.N.E. of Macon by road. Pop. ( 1 906) ,3216. Its church has a fine to wer of the 15th century, of which the balustrade is carved so as to form the first words of the Ave Maria. There are also a hospital of the 17th century with a collection of ancient earthenware, a town-hall of the 18th century and remains of ramparts of the 16th and 17th century. The town is the central market of the agricultural plain of Bresse; chickens form the chief article of commerce. There is also a large felt-hat manufactory.
Note - this article incorporates content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, Eleventh Edition, (1910-1911)